Yellow Jacket bait to kill the nest  

  RSS
Barbara Kuntz
Active Member

I witnesses a yellow jacket picking off one of my honey bees and ripping it a part feeding on it last weekend. We have had yellow jacket traps up all spring and are catching a lot of yellow jackets yet this year it seems they are worse as ever.  I bought the small can of fancy feast tuna, and the Combat Max syringe of roach bait with .01 % of fipronil. I also read the article on this website on using fipronil to kill a yellow jacket nest but I am having difficulty in determining how much of the .01% solution of fipronil I should add to the small can of cat food.  Can someone assist me with this? Also where should I place the trap in relation to my hives? Thanks for your help. It was quite distressing to see the yellow jacket eat my honey bee and I'm on a mission....

Quote
Posted : 24/07/2018 9:55 pm
africabushpilot
Eminent Member

I think just 3-4 drops stirred into the cat food is the recommendation.

I would place it 20 or so feet from the hives, and in such a way that I can be absolutely sure that nothing desirable (pets, wildlife) can get into it. Inside a cage would be good.

I did not use this method this year, so I am working from memory. Good luck!

Greg

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/07/2018 10:21 am
BM Staff
Member Admin

Hi Barbara,

Can you post the list of active ingredients or a picture of the label?

We have an equation to calculate how much Fipronil solution to add to the bait food, but that's assuming Fipronil is the only active ingredient.

If your product has other active ingredients, we will have to adjust the math to confirm how much to add.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/07/2018 8:06 pm
Barbara Kuntz
Active Member

Awesome! This helps. Thank you Greg!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/07/2018 9:30 pm
Barbara Kuntz
Active Member

20180726 212940

Thank you!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/07/2018 9:35 pm
BM Staff
Member Admin

Mm, we used 9% Fipronil solution and that took about 5 drops per can.

Your product is 0.01% Fipronil. In theory you'd need about 900 times what we used. But we are not sure what is in the remaining 99.99%.

If we were to try this product we'd probably add about a teaspoon to the can of cat food and check for results. 

 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/07/2018 6:08 am
Barbara Kuntz
Active Member

Hmmm. Wow  - quite a difference. Maybe I will look for a different fipronil solution. Thanks!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/07/2018 10:43 am
Barbara Kuntz
Active Member

Where did you purchase your 9% Fipronil? 😊

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/07/2018 10:47 am
BM Staff
Member Admin

We bought it on Amazon but we don't recommend we'dnd buying such big container. 

You can see the picture of the container in the link below and since you only need about 5 drops per use, it would last too long for a hobby beekeeper. We know some beekeepers bought smaller/cheaper containers with at least 5% Fipronil, so it should be available in some stores.

https://beemaniacs.com/knowledge-base/dealing-with-yellow-jackets-wasps-and-other-honey-bee-predators/

 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/07/2018 3:36 pm
BM Staff
Member Admin

We bought it on Amazon but we don't recommend buying such big container. 

You can see the picture of the container in the link below and since you only need about 5 drops per use, it would last too long for a hobby beekeeper. We know some beekeepers bought smaller/cheaper containers with at least 5% Fipronil, so it should be available in some stores.

https://beemaniacs.com/knowledge-base/dealing-with-yellow-jackets-wasps-and-other-honey-bee-predators/

 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/07/2018 3:36 pm
Barbara Kuntz
Active Member

Okay! Thank you!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/07/2018 5:59 pm
Justin Branham
New Member

Eliminating yellow jackets can be time-consuming and unbearable. Most of the yellow jacket prefer to build their nests in protected and in shaded areas. Removing yellow jacket nests from your property is not something to be taken lightly. As with other flying insects, yellow jacket are dangerous when provoked. It is best that you should remove this yellow jacket nest as soon as possible by getting yellow jacket removal services by consulting professional pest control companies. As they are an expertise and experienced in every situation.

This post was modified 1 week ago by Justin Branham
ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/03/2019 11:31 pm
Share: