Good afternoon! During my inspection of my 2018 Saskatraz I noticed eggs on the upper deep. Upon inspection of the lower deep I found 0 eggs and 2 supercede cells. One supercede cell on the wonky wax picture I removed as the wax was wonky & not attached & there were lots of holes they made to tunnel around. It wasn't until the 5th frame in the center that I located a capped peanut cell. I didn't see any other queen cups filled with eggs or anything afterwards. Is it possible I'm mistaken & it's a swarm cells instead? I didn't see the queen at all. I am
still doing research but seeking wisdom from others. Thank you kindly! Christal Gillo
Most of the queen cells in the pictures look like swarm cells, more than supercedure or emergency cells. The location of the cell looks intentional and when the queen laid an egg there, she knew she was making a queen. Only the cell that was made at the edge of the brood area looks like a supercedure or emergency cell (that's when the queen laid a standard worker egg, and the colony decides to make a queen out of that egg).
We would recommend splitting that hive trying to prevent a swarm. If you cannot find a queen at all, they may have swarmed already.
We'd recommend inspecting the hive in detail trying to locate the queen and making a split (or setting up nucs) making sure that all the queen cells go to the hive (or nucs) that do not have the queen.
Thank you! I unfortunately made a rookie mistake & removed the two from the wonky comb and most empty cells from the top deep that we're queen cups but empty. There is still some queen cups in the lower deep and those too looked empty but I need to do a more thorough inspection. I tried to be as thorough as possible but it was cloudy & I have a hard time seeing this queen. She is quick. I half wonder if she hides under the tunnels that I removed. I did reattach the comb and I also have mites in my drone cells. I did a Survivor stock inspection and there is no mites in those drones yet or anywhere else I could locate. Thank you!